Nootropics typically take some time to work, and studies suggest Bacopa monnieri should be taken over longer periods in order to optimize the cognitive-enhancing effects.
However, this often depends on the supplement and your motivation for taking it.
If you’re on a quest to boost your brainpower, we completely understand that the timing of these powerful nootropics is key to maximizing your cognitive function.
You’ve come to the right place to learn more about bacopa monnieri!
Firstly, let’s take a deeper dive into its benefits and uses.
What is Bacopa Monnieri?
Bacopa monnieri is one of the best cognitive enhancers in the world of nootropics.
Also known as water hyssop or “Brahmi” - named after the Hindu God Brahma - bacopa monnieri has traditionally been used in Ayurvedic medicine.
The latest research has suggested that supplementing with bacopa monnieri is beneficial for all-around mind and body health enhancements, making this powerful herb a staple ingredient in the best nootropic stacks, and it is a key ingredient in Mind Lab Pro!
Bacopa Monnieri: A Powerful Cognitive-Enhancer
Bacopa monnieri is best known for being a powerful nootropic, helping to enhance cognitive function, being particularly useful for students and learners alike!
Bacopa monnieri supports mental performance and overall brain function through many means1, such as:
- Reliably improving memory
- Improving attention
- Boosting the speed of learning and memory capacity
- Promoting neuron communication
Bacopa Monnieri: An Effective Adaptogen
Bacopa monnieri contains active compounds called bacosides that help our bodies cope better with the physical effects of stress, making it known as an adaptogenic herb.2
If you’re finding yourself going through a particularly stressful time, bacopa monnieri may be an effective pick.
It’s been shown that this herb can help reduce feelings of stress and anxiety by lowering our cortisol levels and promoting brain chemicals such as serotonin, which is a key player in mood regulation!
Bacopa Monnieri: An Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory
The bacosides contained in bacopa monnieri have been shown to have powerful antioxidant effects3, meaning this herb can potentially help protect our cells from free radical damage, which is linked to many chronic illnesses, including some cancers.
Some research has even suggested bacopa monnieri to have anti-inflammatory properties, though more human studies are needed to confirm this.
These potential benefits would suitably complement each other, helping us keep our minds and bodies functioning optimally!
How Long Does Bacopa Monnieri Take to Work: What the Research Says
Generally, it has been shown that it takes 4-6 weeks of consuming isolated bacopa monnieri to reliably and effectively improve memory.4
Additionally, significant improvements in memory, attention, and less anxiety and depression were found in persons over 65 years of age after consumption of bacopa monnieri daily for 12 weeks.5
So, it appears that it takes some time for bacopa monnieri to properly kick in for the memory-enhancing effects. However, this usually depends on the supplement.
Taking bacopa monnieri as part of a nootropic formula may provide different results, as it’s recommended to take nootropics a few hours before you wish to reap the cognitive-enhancing effects.
Bacopa Monnieri: Dosage and side effects
Dosage may vary depending on the supplement and form of bacopa monnieri you’re taking. Though doses of 150mg have been shown to be effective when taken in a potent, highly bioactive form, such as is provided by Mind Lab Pro.
It is best to consume bacopa monnieri with a balanced meal to ensure proper absorption and limit any potential side effects of taking it on an empty stomach.
Possible side effects have been reported, including nausea, cramping, bloating, and diarrhea.
- Bacopa monnieri is one of the best cognitive enhancers in the world of nootropics
- Bacopa monnieri is a powerful nootropic, resulting in improvements in memory, focus, and a reduction in anxiety and depression
- A staple ingredient in nootropic formulas such as Mind Lab Pro
- It may take some time to see the effects of bacopa monnieri on memory
- Taking bacopa monnieri as part of a nootropic formula may elicit different results
- Stough C, Lloyd J, Clarke J, Downey LA, Hutchison CW, Rodgers T, Nathan PJ. The chronic effects of an extract of Bacopa monniera (Brahmi) on cognitive function in healthy human subjects. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2001 Aug;156(4):481-4.
- Rai D, Bhatia G, Palit G, Pal R, Singh S, Singh HK. Adaptogenic effect of Bacopa monniera (Brahmi). Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2003 Jul;75(4):823-30. doi: 10.1016/s0091-3057(03)00156-4.
- Kapoor R, Srivastava S, Kakkar P. Bacopa monnieri modulates antioxidant responses in brain and kidney of diabetic rats. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2009 Jan;27(1):62-9.
- K. Patel. Lion’s Mane. Examine.com. 2021
- K. Patel. Lion’s Mane. Examine.com. 2021