How long you should take citicoline largely depends on your reasons for taking the nootropic. For the everyday cognitive-enhancing and brain health benefits, it should be taken each day, long-term, for the best results!
Though, why is this? What can citicoline offer you in terms of brain health and nootropic benefits? Can you take it long term with minimal side effects?
What is Citicoline?
Citicoline is a naturally occurring nootropic compound linked to multiple cognitive-enhancing effects, such as improved focus, memory, and learning. It is one of the best nootropics to exist, which is why it’s a key ingredient in Mind Lab Pro.
Citicoline helps deliver two compounds to the brain: choline and cytidine. Both of these substances are associated with enhanced cognitive function and overall brain health.
Choline specifically is a nutrient that we can also obtain from certain foods and is needed for the regulation of memory, mood, muscle control, and many other functions.
So, what are the benefits of citicoline supplementation?
Benefits of Citicoline
Simply put, elevated levels of citicoline will in-turn increase acetylcholine, which is one of the main neurotransmitters responsible for executive functioning, such as speech, focus, and working memory.
In addition to this, an increase in citicoline will also increase levels of a compound called phosphatidylcholine, which is the building block of brain cells.
Citicoline is best known for enhancing mental performance without the side effects of stimulants. Some nootropic effects include:
- Promoting mood balance
- Improving focus, concentration, and attention
- Improving memory
- Fighting against age-related cognitive decline
As citicoline helps increase levels of phosphatidylcholine, this would result in:
- Maintaining healthy brain function
- Supporting brain chemicals such as acetylcholine
- Protecting the brain from free radicals and aging
- Promoting overall brain health
Doses from as much as 250mg of citicoline have been proven effective in promoting overall brain health and enhancing cognitive function.
As with many supplements, more is not necessarily better and can rarely provide additional benefits. For daily cognitive enhancement, the evidence suggests 250mg is enough to improve focus, learning, and attention.
Recommended larger doses would be dependent on the reason for taking and would often apply to more severe cases of cognitive decline.
Citicoline: How Long Should You Take Citicoline?
It’s actually better to take citicoline long term, as it’s been found to have significant benefits on brain cell health over time when taken frequently and consistently instead of infrequently or short-term.
Is it safe to take every day, long-term?
Yes! There have been no reported side effects to taking citicoline long-term. In fact, it’s recommended to take it long term for better, lasting results.
Citicoline: Key Take Homes
- Citicoline is a nootropic that has profound effects on our brain cell health and cognitive function
- Nootropic benefits include improved focus, attention, working memory, and mood
- Brain health benefits include supporting brain chemicals and overall functioning of the brain long-term
- You can, and in fact should take citicoline long-term for the best results, particularly from a brain health standpoint
- Citicoline is safe to take each day, long-term!