Mind Lab Pro®
Citicoline 250 mg
Citicoline is a brain-energizer linked to multiple cognition-enhancing and neuroregenerative effects in human research, including support for focus, recall, attention and overall brain health.*
- Optimizes brain cells' mitochondria for healthy energy metabolism*
- Raises brain levels of neural building-block phosphatidycholine*
- Supports brain chemicals acetylcholine, dopamine and norepinephrine*
- Helps synthesize and repair brain cell membranes and DNA*
- Protects brain cells from the damaging effects of free radicals and aging*
- Energizes brain cells for peak cognitive performance without the crash of stimulants*
- Enhancer of mental vitality, focus, attention and recall*
- Supports overall brain health and cognitive function*
- May help to improve mild age-related memory concerns*
Mind Lab Pro®'s Citicoline as Cognizin®
- Cognizin® is superior-quality branded Citicoline made with a patented fermentation process that yields a highly stable, water-soluble nootropic
- Ultra-pure: Cognizin® is 99%+ pure citicoline verified by precision High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) testing
- Cognizin® has been shown in human research to increase ATP brain energy by 13.6% and accelerate brain cell membrane formation by 26%
Why Mind Lab Pro® includes Cognizin® Citicoline
Peak mental performance and regenerative brain processes consume a tremendous amount of energy. Ultimately, although it only makes up 2% of bodyweight, the brain consumes 20% of the body's total energy pool.<1>
When brain energy levels are low, brain fog and memory issues may manifest while risk for degenerative brain concerns rises.<2>
- Mind Lab Pro®'s Cognizin® Citicoline optimizes brainpower at a cellular level while nourishing the brain with building block neuronutrients -- uniquely supporting the healthy brain metabolism, repair, maintenance and regeneration that are crucial for sharp overall cognition.
With additional support for neurotransmitters, brain circulation and brain defenses, Citicoline is the driving-force ingredient of Mind Lab Pro®’s 100% Brainpower effects: A single nootropic that boosts multiple pathways to optimize mental performance and whole-brain health.
How Citicoline may help with brain health and mental performance
Citicoline (also called Cytidine 5'-diphosphocholine or CDP-choline) helps the brain generate electrical impulses by supporting proper function of mitochondria: The powerhouses that generate cell energy.<6> Healthy mitochondrial function results in higher levels of ATP energy in brain cells, which in turn powers the demanding tasks of higher-order cognition and brain regeneration.
One human research study found that Mind Lab Pro®'s Cognizin® Citicoline increased frontal lobe brain energy levels by 13.6%.<7>
In addition to energizing brain regeneration, Citicoline promotes formation and healthy function of brain cell membranes as a cholinergic compound that raises brain levels of phosphatidylcholine: One of the phospholipid building block compounds that helps comprise about 30% of all brain tissue.
Mind Lab Pro®'s Cognizin® citicoline has been shown to stimulate phospholipid synthesis and turnover, reflecting brain renewal and leading researchers to suggest Cognizin® may help to reverse certain age-related changes to the brain.<8> Another human study suggested Cognizin® may accelerate new brain cell formation by as much as 26%.<7>
Citicoline helps to form acetylcholine, which is associated with memory, learning and mental processing. Since acetylcholine declines with age, and low acetylcholine is linked to brain degeneration, researchers have suggested that Citicoline may be a useful potential therapy for age-related cognitive decline.<9>
Citicoline may also support dopamine and norepinephrine production, which are associated with more immediate benefits for mood and performance-driven cognition.<10>
Citicoline in supplement form has been suggested to promote healthy cerebral circulation.<11> In one study of patients with brain degeneration and memory problems, left temporal cerebral blood flow normalized after supplementation with citicoline.<12>
Like other brain-protective nootropic supplements, Citicoline supplies antioxidant activity that helps to neutralize the brain cell-damaging effects of toxic free radicals.<13> Citicoline adds another level of neuroprotective activity that may be even more important: It stimulates synthesis of phosphatidylcholine, which helps to strengthen brain cell membranes and enhance neural repair.<14>
Mind Lab Pro® Stack Strategy: Citicoline + Phosphatidylserine (PS) for 2X Phospholipid Support
Important for brain health and cognitive function, Phospholipids are the most abundant building blocks used to form new brain cell membranes. Mind Lab Pro® supports neurogenesis by naturally optimizing brain phospholipids via two unique pathways:
- Mind Lab Pro®'s Cognizin® Citicoline indirectly raises brain levels of phospholipids by optimizing natural synthesis of phosphatidylcholine;
- Mind Lab Pro®'s Sharp-PS® Green directly nourishes the brain by supplying the phospholipid phosphatidylserine
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- Jäger et al. Phospholipids and sports performance. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007; 4:
- Vance JE. Thematic Review Series: Glycerolipids. Phosphatidylserine and phosphatidylethanolamine in mammalian cells: two metabolically related aminophospholipids. July 2008 The Journal of Lipid Research, 49, 1377-1387]
- Hanahan DJ, Nelson DR. Phospholipids as dynamic participants in biological processes. J Lipid Res. 1984;25:1528–1535.
- Morell P, Quarles RH. Characteristic Composition of Myelin. Basic Neurochemistry: Molecular, Cellular and Medical Aspects. 6th edition. 1999
- Glade MJ, Smith K. Phosphatidylserine and the human brain. Nutrition. 2015 Jun;31(6):781-786.
- Wells K, et al. Neural membrane phospholipids in alzheimer disease. Neurochemical Research. November 1995, Volume 20, Issue 11, pp 1329–1333
- De Simone R, Ajmone-Cat MA, Tirassa P, Minghetti L. Apoptotic PC12 Cells Exposing Phosphatidylserine Promote the Production of Anti-Inflammatory and Neuroprotective Molecules by Microglial Cells. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2003 Feb;62(2):208-16
- Schlegel RA, Williamson P. Phosphatidylserine, a death knell. Cell Death Differ. 2001 Jun;8(6):551-63.
- Monteleone P, Beinat L, Tanzillo C, Maj M, Kemali D. Effects of Phosphatidylserine on the Neuroendocrine Response to Physical Stress in Humans. Neuroendocrinology. 1990;52:243–248.
- Benton D, Donohoe RT, Sillance B, Nabb S. The Influence of Phosphatidylserine Supplementation on Mood and Heart Rate when Faced with an Acute Stressor. Nutr Neurosci. 2001;4:169–178.
- Klinkhammer P. Effect of Phosphatidylserine on Cerebral Glucose Metabolism in Alzheimer's Disease. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 1990;1:197–201
- Pepeu G, Spignoli G. Nootropic drugs and brain cholinergic mechanisms. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 1989;13 Suppl:S77-88.
- Jäger R, et al. The effect of phosphatidylserine on golf performance. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 Dec 4;4:23.
- Kingsley M, Miller M, Kilduff LP, McEneny J, Benton D. Effects of phosphatidylserine on exercise capacity during cycling in active males. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006;38:64–71.
- Parisi A, et al. Effects of chronic Rhodiola Rosea supplementation on sport performance and antioxidant capacity in trained male: preliminary results. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2010 Mar;50(1):57-63.